Date:      Thu, 23 May 1996 06:50:35 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Thomas Ptacek <tqbf@enteract.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   [Q] ifconfig, alias, arp, wrong address

Eek.

I'm getting some wacky problems here, and I'd really like to know what
exactly's going on.

I'm running a box here with roughly 100 aliases on an Intel Ethernet NIC.

For some weird reason, every once in a while, the interface displays
(in ifconfig) one of the alias addresses instead of the real address.
This is no big deal, because everything still works (including the "real"
address)... more disconcerting, however, is that the netmask gets reset
to 0xffffffff (the netmask for the alias address), causing arp to scream
at me while I'm doing important things like IRC.

I went through a phase where I suspected that perhaps the arp table had
become polluted and ifconfig (or interface code) was resolving the IP
address by looking up the arp entry associated with the ethernet address.
However, if I do an arp -a, I don't see -any- entry for the ix0 interface.

Any ideas?

Thomas Ptacek at EnterAct, L.L.C., Chicago, IL [tqbf@enteract.com]
main(){while(1)fork();}