Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 1999 21:05:50 +1100
From:      death <death@southcom.com.au>
To:        Ben WIlliams <williamsl@Home.Com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pidentd

At 02:25 AM 11/12/1999 -0500, Ben WIlliams wrote:
>freebsd-stable,                           Saturday, December 11, 1999
>
>    I am trying to get pidentd (or any other ident daemon) to work for
>masqueraded hosts on a private LAN connected to the internet via a
>3.2-RELEASE box. I've managed to successfully compile and install
>pidentd which works as a standard ident daemon but I am having
>difficulty figuring out how to make it work for masq'd hosts. Any
>ideas?

My solution was to either:

a) NAT all identd stuff to windows using:

ipfw add 30000 divert 666 tcp from any 113 to any via ppp0
ipfw add 30000 divert 666 tcp from any to any 113 via ppp0
natd -port 666 -redirect_address 192.168.1.2 0.0.0.0 -interface ppp0 -dynamic

666 being just a port i picked because the natd port is being used by
another nat. port 113 being ident. ppp0 being the interface that i'm on the
net with. and 192.168.1.2 being the address of my windows box. this assumes
that you don't need identd on your freebsd box, and that you only have 1
machine you want identd running on.

b) Use a socks5 server. This is the best option - but i couldn't get ident
working in socks5 though. Eventually got it compiled in by fixing some
broken code, but then it still did nothing.

Cheers