Date:      Thu, 19 Dec 1996 00:50:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Mun Fai WONG <mfwong@mol.net.my>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Samba and truncated-ip problems

On Sat, 14 Dec 1996, Mun Fai WONG wrote:

> >>     However, I am experiencing very poor performance with the setup and
> >> tcpdump, trafshow and netstat -i reveal that there are *many* truncated-ip
> >> packets on the network, and netstat -i reports Ierrs is very high. This is
> >> true even when only 2 boxes are active on the network (ie others have been
> >> unplugged
> >> from the hub). One thing worths mentioning is that, there seems to be
> collisions
> >> hapenning as indicated by the LED on a 3COM hub, but netstat -i does shows a
> >> collision figure (Coll) of 0!
> >
> >The hub is probably filtering those collisions.
> >
> >I'm betting your network has some faulty wiring, hardware, or a grounding
> >problem.  Try replacing the drop cables or checking them with a tester.
> >Work you way back, and check the equipment grounding while you're at it.
> >It makes a big difference surprisingly, especially on BNC networks.
>
> I have swapped cables but to no improvement and now I am running the latest
> version of Samba too. BTW, I am using 10BaseT (UTP) wiring instead of 10Base2
> type and according to my hub manual, it mentions nothing about grounding etc.
> Perhaps you may have better knowledge/experience in this aspect.

All the network hardware I've used has a grounding pin.  I know that a
friend of mine had horrendous problems with a minihub that wasn't properly
grounded.  Fixed that and it works great.

> I am starting to suspect about my NE2000 compatible sitting in the BSD box
> and the Intel Ether Express PRO/10+ compatible cards and this goes back to
> another
> long story trying to get the 2.1R to work well with my Asustek P5NP6
> motherboard.
>
> Ever since I switch to that new moterboard, I keep getting the error
> message with my SMC Elite16 (combo card):
>
> ed0: device timed out
>
> and setting IRQ, i/o address and mem address to different combination do not
> solve the problem and I get myself another NE2000 compatible with setting of:
>
> IRQ = 2/9, I/O = 0x280, mem = 0xa0000

This may be something between the SMC and the motherboard.  It would be
odd and I couldn't explain it though.  I personally don't like using IRQ 9
since it shares with the keyboard, I use 10 whenever possible.

> Strangely enough, with the same settings above, my SMC card still complains
> about the same device timed out error, whereas it used to work like a charm
> in a poor 486 box running the same 2.1R system!
>
> Appreciate if anyone can offer more help.

????  Some sort of bug with the MB it appears.  I don't know if there's
much you can do for it.