Date:      Wed, 04 Apr 2001 21:32:39 -0500
From:      "Brian D. Woodruff" <wood@soundconcept.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   cvsupped to RELENG_4 but got 4.3-RC

Hi gang -

I just did a clean installation of FreeBSD 4.2 from the floppies and the
Internet, and then proceeded to do a "make world".

I installed the cvsup package (and then did a deinstall-reinstall; I've
noticed that's necessary of late) and modified the stock stable-supfile to
work with cvsup9.freebsd.org; though I made no other modifications to it.
Most importantly; this line was not changed:

*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4

When I went into the /usr/src directory and typed

make world

everything went as normal (I made a new kernel, too, using the steps in
Lehey's book) but when I re-started the machine, I got

FreeBSD 4.3-RC (BMEWORLD) #0: Wed Apr  4 20:48:05 CDT 2001

much to my surprise.

I quickly learned that RC is for Release Candidate, which would inticate to
me that it's somewhere between CURRENT and RELEASE, but nowhere near STABLE!!

HELP!

Here are my questions:

1.) is there a way to specify 4.2-STABLE, which is what I have been using?
2.) is this a mistake? If so, when will it be corrected?

Thank you

BDW