Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 1998 19:05:04 -0500
From:      "Alfred Perlstein" <perlsta@cs.sunyit.edu>
To:        "Terry Lambert" <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        <nate@mt.sri.com>, <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: so how goes java?

>> >They are not pre-emptive.
>>
>> (figures since until recently the SUN version was also co-operative)
>> one of my first things (besides fixing this problem) is to look into
native
>> threads, co-operative multitasking is an oxymoron.
>> i also plan on having several snapshots of 3.0 compiled versions of the
>> port. i'll inform the porting team when my NDA is all set and good.
>
>Do not confuse call conversion threading with Yield-based threading.
>
>Though call conversion threading is non-preemptive, one thread will
>not be blocked simply because another thread has made a blocking
>call.  This is the point of call conversion.
>
>Kernel threading buys you SMP scalability (assuming there is ever
>code changes checked in to ensure thread-CPU affinity), and a much
>higher context switch overhead.

ummm I think you just caused my brain to hemorrhage... :)
but let me try to rephrase that just to make sure i understand.

if we have 2 threads busy looping, for instance just printing "i'm thread A"
and "i'm thread B", whichever thread starts first will not allow the other
thread to execute, correct?

however if one thread tries to do a disk access or something that could
possibly block like a socket operation, the other thread will be allowed to
start executing?

ok, so what do I need to do to get a situation where the threads would
alternate printing "i'm thread A" and "i'm thread B" when they are just busy
looping?

i think i understand that what you are refering to as kernel threads would
work, however you also say they have a heavy overhead?

are there any alternatives?

-Alfred