Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 2000 03:24:21 +0100 (WEST)
From:      Jose Gabriel Marcelino <gabriel@maquina.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Anthony Rubin <arubin@concentric.net>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Asus K7V with Crucial PC133 ECC RAM

> > Perhaps I am being a bit paranoid but I'd rather exchange parts now if I
> > have to.  I ran a cvsup and make world without any problems.  I also ran the
> > dnetc client for a day without problems.  While this probably proves
> > nothing, the system does seem to be running great.
>
> Memory doesn't just sort of dribble away when it's faulty. 8)

Strange as it may seem (it totally freaked me out) I saw this happening on
a Asus K7M motherboard.

These boards where very picky with RAM, I had them running with no-name
128Mb DIMM and altough the BIOS and Windows both said I had 128MB,
Linux (I didn't get to install FreeBSD at the time) alternated in values
around 64-72Mb of available memory.

The system was very slow (it only really had those 64Mb working in
Linux) and crashed *A LOT*.

Once replaced with 128Mb CAS2 DIMMS from Crucial, Linux always detected
the 128Mb just fine and run without more trouble (apart from the usual
Linux ones, that is :)

I'll send a gift to the first one who explains why did the system behave
that way.

I've never bought no-name since then and I'm always more than happy to
spend more but get much more quality from Crucial.

Regards,

Gabriel