Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 2002 10:09:36 -0500
From:      Jerry A! <jerry@thehutt.org>
To:        John <sephtin@techgodz.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: sendmail 8.12.2 MFC'ed

On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 08:31:11AM -0600, John wrote:
:
: I'm a *nix newbie.  I ran into this the other day.  Had my system completely
: up and running.  (Internet gateway, NAT box, several other packages config'd
: successfully).  Decided I wanted to install Bind9.
: I cvsup'd, and went in and installed Bind9 from ports.
: Config'd it according to the bind9 doc, and when I started named, naturally
: it started 8.2.4 (Free 4.4 Rel), rather than the 9.2.1.rc1 that I had
: installed.  Now I've got Bind installed twice, and have no idea what's the
: best way to get it working properly.
: I'll have to bait friends over with beer and pizza to get them to help me
: fix :(

You should have named installed twice.  All ports by default install
under the /usr/local hierarchy.  See hier(7) for how the filesystems are
laid out.

You should also get used to reading through /etc/defaults/rc.conf and
seeing what the default values are for various apps.  Then you'll know
what to set in /etc/rc.conf to override the defaults.  See rc.conf(5)
for more details.

I shouldn't do this, but the quick answer to your question is to insert
the following in your /etc/rc.conf.

named_enable="YES"
named_program="/usr/local/sbin/named"

: Is there doc for the ports tree apps ANYWHERE that describes locations that
: things are installed to, or what config files are necessary, possibly even
: how to admin different apps when installed from the ports tree??
: (Especially since it seems that when installed from ports, it doesn't
: install them in their default locations.. thus I have named in
: /usr/local/sbin, and /usr/sbin...)

Check out the ports(7) man page.  It's chock full o' goodness.  There
you'll find a pointer to pkg_info(1) which is the program you'll use to
see the contents of an installed package/port.

Also, check out chapter 4 of the FreeBSD Handbook, "Installing
Applications:  Packages and Ports".

: I'm a beginner, and my biggest help with my FreeBSD boxes is a linux guy,
: who keeps telling me "FreeBSD is F'Kd up.  They do things screwey".

I can say the same thing about Linux.  I can point out examples of
inconsistencies ad infinitum.  Having an attitude like that doesn't
help.  Point out that no two UNIX-like OS's have the exact same setups
or behave exactly the same.  When I was starting out on this stuff a
long time ago, someone described this as "character" and "flavor".

: My experiences with cvsup and installing from ports were excellent, until I
: ran into the Bind prob.

Well, I hope I helped somewhat and that you've got the groundwork for
enjoying this stuff and making it work for you.

        --Jerry

Open-Source software isn't a matter of life or death...
...It's much more important than that!