Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2000 17:17:33 +0530
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Satyajit Das <satyajit@spnetctg.com>
Subject:   Re: time and Date problem

On Monday, 17 January 2000 at 17:59:50 -0700, Wes Peters wrote:
> Satyajit Das wrote:
>>
>> hello
>>
>> I'm from bangladesh.
>> I install FBSD 3.3 .
>> FBSD shows 12 hours advanced from current time and also date.
>> when i install i select Bangladesh .
>> please inform how can i fix my current time and date.
>
> I have forwarded your question and directed replies to the FreeBSD-questions
> mailing list, as this is the appropriate place to find answers for this kind
> of question.
>
> Now, to attempt to answer it: when you were installing, do you remember the
> install program asking you if your CMOS clock is set to local time or GMT
> time?  I suspect you answered that question wrong.  For more information,
> see "man adjkerntz".
>
> Basically, if your BIOS/CMOS clock is set to the local time, you need to
> create a file called /etc/wall_cmos_clock.  You can do this by typing (as
> root):
>
> 	touch /etc/wall_cmos_clock
>
> If your BIOS/CMOS clock is set to GMT, remove the /etc/wall_cmos_clock file
> so your computer will know the clock is on GMT at startup.
>
> Lastly, be sure your CMOS clock, which is accessible from the BIOS setup
> screens, is correct.

The issue of adjkerntz doesn't change the relationship between UTC and
local time (which appears to be called BDT).  It works fine for me
here:

  $ date
  Tue Jan 18 17:13:13 IST 2000
  $ TZ=Asia/Dacca date
  Tue Jan 18 17:43:22 BDT 2000

Since I'm in India, that seems about right.

To set your time zone, take a look at the files in the subdirectories
of /usr/share/zoneinfo:

  $ ls -RFC /usr/share/zoneinfo/
  Africa/         Atlantic/       EST             GMT             MST7MDT         posixrules
  America/        Australia/      EST5EDT         HST             PST8PDT         zone.tab
  Antarctica/     CET             Etc/            Indian/         Pacific/
  Arctic/         CST6CDT         Europe/         MET             SystemV/
  Asia/           EET             Factory         MST             WET
  /usr/share/zoneinfo/Asia:
  Aden            Bishkek         Irkutsk         Kuching         Rangoon         Tokyo
  Almaty          Brunei          Istanbul        Kuwait          Riyadh          Ujung_Pandang
  Amman           Calcutta        Jakarta         Macao           Saigon          Ulan_Bator
  Anadyr          Chungking       Jayapura        Magadan         Samarkand       Urumqi
  Aqtau           Colombo         Jerusalem       Manila          Seoul           Vientiane
  Aqtobe          Dacca           Kabul           Muscat          Shanghai        Vladivostok
  Ashkhabad       Damascus        Kamchatka       Nicosia         Singapore       Yakutsk
  Baghdad         Dubai           Karachi         Novosibirsk     Taipei          Yekaterinburg
  Bahrain         Dushanbe        Kashgar         Omsk            Tashkent        Yerevan
  Baku            Gaza            Katmandu        Phnom_Penh      Tbilisi
  Bangkok         Harbin          Krasnoyarsk     Pyongyang       Tehran
  Beirut          Hong_Kong       Kuala_Lumpur    Qatar           Thimbu

Choose one that looks likely (Dacca in your case) and copy it to
/etc/localtime:

  # cp /usr/share/zoneinfo/Asia/Dacca /etc/localtime

Greg