Date:      Mon, 9 Jul 2001 10:46:37 -0500
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@sneakerz.org>
To:        Michal Mertl <mime@traveller.cz>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is SMP BETA in STABLE?

* Michal Mertl <mime@traveller.cz> [010709 04:56] wrote:
> >From what I read in welcome message from majordomo when subscribing to
> thie list it sounds like I shouldn't enable SMP even with STABLE branch
> for production servers. Is it correct?

That is incorrect, some people recently complained about stability
issues, but were unable to track it down, then mysteriously the
problems disappeared later that week.  SMP is usually rock solid
in -stable, but it does have it's moments. :)

> The problem I have is with apache. Does it run on STABLE on more
> processors? It seems to me, that it never consumes more than 50% processor
> (and from systat I don't see much harddisk activity). I've heard about
> processes from the same process group run only one at a time but I've also
> heard that it's the case with libc_r threads only. I tested with
> apachebench from localhost, could this be the reason?
>
> Sorry if this question isn't technical enough but I don't know where else
> I should ask.

Apache is a single threaded program, each instance should only be able
to take up one cpu on a mp system, so what you're seeing looks like
it makes sense.

--
-Alfred Perlstein [alfred@freebsd.org]
Ok, who wrote this damn function called '??'?