Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2001 20:25:31 +0200 (CEST)
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Roudier?= <groudier@free.fr>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
Cc:        Thomas Quinot <thomas@cuivre.fr.eu.org>, <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, <scsi@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Failure to attach SCSI CD burner

On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:

> > > Yes, that is what it looks like is happening.  Apparantly it only hap=
pens
> > > the first time we send a read capacity to the drive.  (On probe.)
> > > Subsequent read capacity commands via camcontrol return CCBs with val=
id
> > > sense data and the CAM_AUTOSNS_VALID flag set.
> >
> > I double-checked the sym driver source and didn't find any code path
> > explaining such behaviour. I mean, the driver returning SCSI_STATUS_ERR=
OR
> > on either CHECK CONDITION or TERMINATED STATUS. If an error occurs duri=
ng
> > auto-sense, the driver should either return some severe cam status valu=
e,
> > or indicate that sense data are not valid in the cam status.
>
> Well, it looks like it's doing just that -- returning
> CAM_SCSI_STATUS_ERROR, but without the CAM_AUTOSNS_VALID flag set.
>
> > It would have been fine to also display out the actual value of the scs=
> > status returned by the device. Being 100% sure is far better than only
> > 99%. :)
> > Let me suggest Thomas to add such a trace to scsi_cd.c and to give anot=
her
> > try with his CD burner.
>
> The patch I gave him does this -- the status is 0x4c, which is
> CAM_SCSI_STATUS_ERROR | CAM_DEV_QFRZN.  (See above.)

I didn't miss a single bit, but have been unclear in my reply.

> > This 1% of chance for another SCSI status to have been returned gives t=
he
> > following scenario some chance to happen. :)
> >
> > The read capacity is performed with 1 retry max by the cd driver.
> >
> > 1) The device returns SCSI_STATUS_BUSY.
> > 2) 1 second later the retry is performed.
> > 3) The device still returns SCSI_STATUS_BUSY.
> > 4) cam_periph_errof() return EIO.
> > 5) then the problem reported by Thomas does happen.
> >
> > I may be wrong, obviously. Sorry if I am.
>
> You've got a point, it may well be returning busy instead of check
> condition.  I'll send him another patch to check for that.

Some other not good SCSI statuses are also candidate in theory, but very
unlikely given the situation. Even if the situation I described does not
apply to our problem (we will know very soon), it can indeed happen and
should be considered as a potential problem, in my opinion.

  G=E9rard.