Date:      Sat, 29 Jan 2005 17:15:25 +0300
From:      Yar Tikhiy <yar@comp.chem.msu.su>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        paul@originative.co.uk
Subject:   Re: c99/c++ localised variable definition

On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 11:49:19AM -0700, Warner Losh wrote:
> > So, are we going to start allowing this feature to be used in FreeBSD
> > since it would require a pretty major change to style(9).
>
> People differ as to the efficacy of such usage.  Either they love it
> and can't understand why people wouldn't want to see definitions close
> to where they are used.  Or they hate it and can't understand why
> you'd want to go searching for a definition when the one, true,
> god-given place is at the top of the function.  Often times, no
> further discourse is possible because both sides know they are right,
> and the other side is a bunch of butt picking monekys that clearly
> should get out of the stone age...

...And which is even worse, the source code itself becomes a
battleground for the two uncompromising sides.  We have bloodstained
src/ spots in plenty.  Perhaps we need a law to stop the bloodshed,
like it was in the Wild West? :-)  It's becoming hard to find a
scoped variable definition in some source files.  And currently I
cannot see a paragraph in style(9) on where local vars should be
defined.  Am I getting blind?

--
Yar