Date:      Fri, 11 Dec 1998 12:08:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com, eivind@yes.no, vallo@matti.ee, current@FreeBSD.ORG, dg@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mformat in free(): warning: junk pointer, too high to make sense.

sthaug@nethelp.no writes:
> > Well, this brings up an unrelated question. I've written a little
> > library that comes in very handy in situations like this (I have
> > heard there are similar things out there but this was a custom job).
>
> This would be good to have in the system. Have you compared your lib
> with Paul Vixie's eventlib, part of BIND 8.1.x? The man page is in
> src/lib/isc/eventlib.mdoc in the 8.1.2 source. A small part is
> included below.
> DESCRIPTION
>    This library provides multiple outstanding asynchronous timers and I/O to
>    a cooperating application.  The model is similar to that of the X Toolk­
>    it, in that events are registered with the library and the application
>    spends most of its time in the evMainLoop() function.  If an application
>    already has a main loop, it can safely register events with this library
>    as long as it periodically calls the evGetNext() and evDispatch() func­
>    tions.  (Note that evGetNext() has both polling and blocking modes.)

Looks like the same idea but much more complete (and probably faster,
better tested, etc..) I'd love to break this out into it's own library
in src/lib. I think lots of people would find it useful. What kind of
backlash could I expect? :-)

The other libraries look interesting too: "heap", "tree", "logging", etc.

-Archie