Date:      Wed, 11 Dec 2002 10:51:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
To:        Kirk McKusick <mckusick@beastie.mckusick.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Data corruption in soft updates?

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002, Kirk McKusick wrote:
> 	Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 18:04:03 -0800 (PST)
> 	From: Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
>
> 	I started getting kernel messages of "bad inode".  I quickly
> 	rebooted to single user and ran fsck and got a huge set of
> 	errors.  See this partial log (600KB gzipped):
>
> 	   http://www.root.org/~nate/fsck.gz
>
> It appears that you are getting all those errors (BAD block)
> because fsck thinks that your filesystem is smaller than it
> really is. If you do a dumpfs on the filesystem and check
> the size (about line 5), I expect that you will find that
> all those bad blocks exceed that size. It might be interesting
> to check one or more of the alternate blocks to see if they
> have a different size. If so, using an alternate should help.
> If not, then the question is why all those out of range blocks
> were allocated.

I did some poking around.  First I did dumpfs as requested (80 KB):
   http://www.root.org/~nate/dumpfs1.gz

Then I tried fsck_ffs with -b 32 and it corrected a few small things but
didn't appear to have any problems:
   http://www.root.org/~nate/fsck2

Then I ran dumpfs on the updated fs and diffed the output to the previous
dumpfs:
   http://www.root.org/~nate/dumpfs2.diff

So it looks like now all I have to do is copy the sb backup at 32 to the
default sb.  I looked around fsdb but can't see how to do this.  If I knew
the right offset, I'd use dd.

The question is, what corrupted the default sb?  I DID see the "updating
sb size" kernel message when booting the first time with the new kernel.

-Nate