Date:      Mon, 16 Apr 2001 23:41:07 +0200
From:      Andre Oppermann <oppermann@telehouse.ch>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        Andre Oppermann <oppermann@monzoon.net>, Duncan Barclay <dmlb@dmlb.org>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Use of if_ef for 802.11 interfaces?

Brooks Davis wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 15, 2001 at 05:27:13PM +0200, Andre Oppermann wrote:
> > Nothing, maybe except that there is no IOCTL defined for "microwave
> > oven rubustness" (which is another way to say "don't fallback too
> > fast on transmission errors").
>
> That's easy enough to add.  I assume it's just a boolean or integer
> parameter?  The interface supports 2^16-1 options so it's not going to
> be a real problem to add more.  You just add a new #define at the end if
> sys/net/if_ieee80211.h and and entry in share/man/man4/ieee80211.4
> describing what the heck it does.  The interface also needs more status
> gathering functions to get signal strenght and the like for GUI tools.

I'd say your patch is a very good starting point and framewort to
which everthing else, is desired, can be added later.

PHK assigned himself to your PR with the patch but told me this
weekend that he'd hold back until (appearently) this discussion is
finished. IMO he can go ahead and commit it.

--
Andre