Date:      Sun, 9 Jun 1996 21:17:14 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        randyd@nconnect.net
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: C / C++ Programming in FreeBSD

>      I've been using this (remarkable) OS for a little better than 3
> weeks now, and am really getting excited about it.  I've had NO prior
> UNIX experience and would also like to extend my sincere thanks and
> appreciation to all who've helped me get started.

Thank you!

>      I'm accustomed to the DOS / WINDOWS / WINDOWS NT platforms and have
> used NT as my personal OS since the release of 3.1.  I'm interested in
> trying to port some of the apps I've created to freeBSD.  Since day 1 of
> my programming I've used integrated development environments such as,
> Borland's IDE and Microsoft's Visual C++.  I'm wondering if there's
> anything similar to these for BSD?

Not really - you can get these kinds of things on some other Unix
platforms, but they're usually *very* expensive.

> What are the preferred methods
> (environments) of veteran UNIX programmers?

It varies according to taste - some people use vi (or even ed!) at the
command line and perhaps a few shell scripts, which gives you a simple
but very austere environment, other prefer emacs, which is very
powerful but rather overwhelming if you're not used to it. It's
probably the nearest thing to an IDE you can get in FreeBSD.

Not wishing to blow my own trumpet or anything, but you may be
interested in a document I've just written which is aimed at people
who are trying out Unix programmming for the first time. It covers
things like how to set up Emacs as an IDE, which compiler options to
use, how to get started with the debugger, that kind of thing. It's at

http://www.freebsd.org/~jraynard/devel/devel.html

In fact, I've just heard it's been added to the handbook, so you might
also be able to find it somewhere under

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland | http://www.freebsd.org/~jraynard/