Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 1996 11:26:54 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        benedict@echonyc.com (Snob Art Genre)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, julian@whistle.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: comments on this change please.

> On Tue, 22 Oct 1996, Terry Lambert wrote:
>
> > symlinks itself... if the FreeBSD user wants to make links in /dev
> > (why?), then they can use unionfs.
>
> modem, mouse, just off the top of my head.

I don't know why you need it for the modem...

For the mouse, that's more an artifact of us not having an abstraction
device for the mouse protocol -- something that *should* be there so
that software does not end up with mouse protocol implementations for
every mouse out there.

And that's something that can (and should) be fixed.

In any case, they can still use unionfs to get symlinks without depending
devfs to support them.

What's the point of having FS layering at all if you can't abstract
things like symlink support from namespace support?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.