Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 1996 12:25:08 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IP bugs in FreeBSD 2.1.5

> > Anyone who volunteers is inherently un(der)qualified.
> >
> > If I believed that I could do the job any justice, I might consider
> > letting myself get roped into it.  As it is, I do not have time for
> > current commitments, and since sol.net is not a revenue generating
> > entity, I am unlikely to be able to hire anyone to reduce my workload.
>
> I'd probably volunteer if I had the time... Jordan has the time because
> he gets paid for doing the job, and so he doesn't have conflicting
> commitments.
>
> I pretty much don't have the time because I'd insist on ISO 9000
> standards for the process; these basically boil down to:
>
> 1)	Define a process
> 2)	Document the process in a policy manual
> 3)	Follow the process by obeying the policy manual
> 4)	Document the act following the process so that it is provable
> 	that the process was followed for each release
>
> This would be a full time job... job title: "release engineer".

Wait, I thought we had one of those... full time, and paid, even.

I may not necessarily agree with ISO 9000 itself, but I believe that
the process that it attempts to enforce is a very good thing.

There is even a pre-existing process that we could look to, probably
buried in /usr/share/doc/papers/releng.ascii.gz.

(As an aside to Jordan:  as I reread this, I did happen to notice:

     The beta distribution goes to more sites than the alpha
distribution for three main reasons.  First, as it is closer
to the final release, more sites are willing to run it in  a
production  environment  without  fear of catastrophic fail-
ures.  [...]  Finally, because the beta tape has fewer prob-
lems, it is beneficial to offer it to more sites in hopes of
finding as  many  of  the  remaining problems as possible.

Apparently there is a good, solid historical basis for running
beta versions on production systems...)

While the CSRG procedure may be a bit more detailed than what has
been done in FreeBSD, it was a solid procedure that appears to have
worked very well.  Maybe we could stand to learn a little something
from those who have gone before us.

... JG