Date:      Sat, 9 Nov 2002 13:38:09 -0500
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problem in upgrading to latest pkgs

On Saturday 09 November 2002 08:35 am, E. Rens wrote:
> yes I tried to send some of my output yesterday but the file was too
> large and not accepted by the List. Now I made an abstract of my
> error messages and attached them to the present message. (by the way
> thank you to tell me the size limit for this list).
>
> I have included 3 types of info:
>
> 1. output of my pkg_version upgrade script
> 2. ls /var/db/pkg
> 3. output of ./configure for GLIB-2
>
> it seems that most of my problems are related to glib-2 which do not
> recognize libiconv though I installed and reinstalled the latter. I
> have tried to add recommended flags to configure for glib, and set
> the path variable correctly, without success.
>
> I hope this will help you to help me, thanks again!

    As I recall (I've not used it for awhile), the pkg_version man page
*and* the script that you can generate both state flatly that it's a
bad idea to just try to blindly run the script.

    My recommendation to you, if you really want to do this (and I still
don't think it's the best idea in the world), is the following
sequence:

	install portupgrade
	configure pkgtools.conf to put your INDEX someplace
	   where cvsup won't overwrite it.
	portsdb -uU
	pkgdb -uF
	portupgrade -aF