Date:      Wed, 14 Oct 1998 10:00:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@risc.org>
To:        "Richard Seaman, Jr." <lists@tar.com>
Cc:        "current@FreeBSD.ORG" <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Recent 3.0's are Depressing

On Wed, 14 Oct 1998, Richard Seaman, Jr. wrote:

> I'm not quite clear about what you're saying.  Are you saying that
> your app, statically linked with a pre Sep 1 libc_r works ok on a
> pre Sep 1 3.0-current, but that this same statically linked app does
> not work on newer 3.0-current systems?

    I believe that is what they have tried with beta testers.  I've
seen the same problem with binary dynamically linked to
/usr/lib/aout/libc_r.so.3.0, the library dated Oct 1 (the last time I
did a make world without -DNOAOUT).  I'm going to try backing down
just the a.out libc_r to Aug 31 or so to see what the effects are.

> If so, I'd agree that recent changes to libc_r are probably not the
> cause of the change in behavior.  Are you still doing lots of forks
> and execs?

    AFAIK, no other processes are spawned by typhoond after the
initial startup phase.  I've got 250 reader instances aimed at my
FreeBSD Typhoon server right now, waiting for the bug to resurface.
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@risc.org)