Date:      Fri, 02 Feb 2007 13:27:25 -0500
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What about BIND 9.3.4 in FreeBSD in base system ?

Doug Barton wrote:
> Chuck Swiger wrote:
>> Doug Barton wrote:
[ ... ]
> Right. As I understood it, you were arguing in favor of MFC'ing a fix to
> RELENG_5 because you have machines from that branch in a production
> setting.  If I misunderstood your point, I apologize.

I would like CVE-2007-0493 fixed in RELENG_5 and RELENG_5_5, specifically, yes
please.

More generally, I would like BIND to deal with hundreds (or-- preferably but
not required-- thousands) of outstanding recursive queries without dumping
core or becoming non-responsive.  Have you attempted to reproduce the issue
via the adns port or anything else which generates lots of queries?

>> When the number of machines one deals with in a given environment
>> changes from single-digit, to dozens, to hundreds, to tens of
>> thousands, keeping machines updated to a bug-free, stable environment
>> is more important than chasing features off the latest branch.
>
> Yes, I understand those issues quite well. I used to manage hundreds of
> name servers for a company that had many 10s of thousands of machines.
> And I think that you are basically making my point, which is that users
> in a serious production environment are probably not using the BIND that
> comes with FreeBSD in an off the shelf configuration.

It would be safe to say that almost all people using BIND are not using a
completely off-the-shelf configuration, unless you count the few only running
as "caching-only".

--
-Chuck