Date:      Fri, 01 Feb 2002 03:57:04 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
Cc:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>, Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>, Storms of Perfection <gary@outloud.org>, thierry@herbelot.com, replicator@ngs.ru, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Clock Granularity (kernel option HZ)

Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> Forwarding packets is a lot less complicated than doing tcp
> recieve and send.  I haven't seen Terry's stuff in action,
> however it makes sense that tcp would see more of an improvement
> than simple IP forwarding.

I guess you are talking the LRP stuff.

I was just talking about the processing at NETISR as a
result of a higher HZ causing a higher softintr run
frequency.

Really, the timer code that TCP uses is all bogus for a
large number of connections, and upping the clock wheel
size doesn't gain you nearly as much as interval specific
lists which only have to process until the intended time
to fire is later than "now".  The clock stuff as it is
has to traverse the entire chain, because it can't know
that the firing of the timer after the current one is later
than the current one (i.e. intervals of 1 second and one
hour can end up in the same wheel bucket, because it is, in
effect, an unsorted modular timer, and inserting sorted for
more than one or two intervals is an O(N) problem).

-- Terry