Date:      Sun, 22 Feb 1998 11:16:51 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Chris Timmons <skynyrd@opus.cts.cwu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>
Subject:   Re: Dual PII and environmental monitoring

> Tyan and ASUS use the National Semiconductor LM78 for monitoring internal
> temperature, fan speed, etc.  There is Linux support for reading this
> information and an ostensibly complete data sheet available from national
> at http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM78.pdf.  Likewise, the Intel DK440LX
> uses the LM79 - data sheet also available.

Actually talking directly to these parts is almost certainly a mistake.
These systems almost certainly have DMI BIOS implementations, and we
should be talking to those.

> Gigabyte has their own ACOPS technology which they claim is "supported" by
> all operating systems in that (the bios?) can sense (purportedly more
> reliably than LM78 based systems) CPU overheating conditions and "auto
> speed down" the system.

This is not unreasonable; they are probably using an SMI handler for
this.  That's fine; they should still be using DMI to export the
information in question.

> Gigabyte MB's are cost effective and have a good reputation from people on
> this list; however, it would appear that contrary to their marketing
> rhetoric ACOPS is a closed-door solution that is a win only for MS$ users
> who can realize the unmitigatably overwhelming benefits of Gigabyte's
> bundled patented SIV application.

Supermicro, ASUS, Tyan and Tekram are all other manufacturers to whom
you can look for server-grade boards.