Date:      07 Oct 2002 10:51:49 -0700
From:      Cherie & John Carri <cjcarri@earthlink.net>
To:        Adam Weinberger <adam@vectors.cx>
Subject:   Re: startx crashes for non-root users on  Free86 4.2.0/FreeBSD 4.6

Earlier I wrote (re misbehaving X config for non-root users):
<snip>
> > Fatal Server error: Cannot open log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log"
<snip>

On Mon, 2002-10-07 at 20:41, Adam Weinberger replied:
> install /usr/ports/x11/wrapper
> like it says after the installation of XF86 ends.
>
> -Adam
Thank you - that worked! I now have a full-blown KDE 3 desktop for both
root and non-root users when I want it.

XFree86 was actually installed by the automated FreeBSD 4.6 install
script, and I never saw any message about installing "wrapper". (I
didn't switch virtual consoles during the install, just stayed with the
one that was already open.)

One of the things I have always liked about previous installs of FreeBSD
(versions 4.2, 4.4) on this same PC has been the rock-solid installer,
in striking comparison to the frequent flakiness of install scripts in
even the most reputable Linux distros. My experience with my FreeBSD 4.6
install has therefore been an unpleasant surprise. Has this been a
common problem with this version, or is it something about my hardware?
It's ancient in computing terms, but previous versions of FreeBSD had no
problems with it. (Intel PD440 FX motherboard,266 MHz Pentium II, 64 MB,
4.3Gig Western Digital drive, PCI S3 Virge video card, Realtek 8.39 NIC,
52x generic ATAPI/IDE CDROM).

-John Carri