Date:      Mon, 28 Jun 1999 00:27:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>
To:        Phil Regnauld <regnauld@ftf.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, brett@lariat.org, zen@buddhist.com, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Subject:   Re: PR broken? was Re: Linux not FreeBSD?

On 25-Jun-99 Phil Regnauld wrote:
> Terry Lambert writes:
>> >
>> >    Do we get their reputation, also ?
>>
>> Mult-ibillion-dollar corporations who are willing to go out of their
>> way to avoid alienating the majority of people because that's how
>> they ensure that they will be around in the future?
>>
>> I hope so...
>
>       It's called pleasing the masses -- not quite the FreeBSD approach.

Well, you kind of got the point.  Try reading the last part of Terry's sentence
and the last part of yours...

Eventually, FreeBSD is going to have to tailor to a wide base of people, not
just Unix hackers if it wants to leave its mark.  While it's still being
developed, we don't every Joe Schmoe, I agree.  It will have to change sometime
though.  I think the first group we should target (and I think FreeBSD should
be heavily targeting them now) is Universities, before they all end up using
Linux and leaving BSD out in the cold.  Somehow, we need to make BSD attractice
to researchers.  I wish I knew more of how to do this.

---

John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu> -- http://members.freedomnet.com/~jbaldwin/
PGP Key: http://members.freedomnet.com/~jbaldwin/pgpkey.asc
"Power Users Use the Power to Serve!"  -  http://www.freebsd.org