Date:      Mon, 09 Sep 2002 10:06:14 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: interrupting target kernel using single sio

Hanspeter Roth wrote:
>   On Sep 09 at 04:52, Julian Elischer spoke:
> > it isdangerous because rebooting the local machine can en up sending a break
> > to the remote machine.
>
> Is that to say rebooting the machine where I want to run gdb?
> I've rebooted this machine and nothing happened.
> Is that to say that the target machine ignores the break on the sio?

If you reboot the PC you are using as a console, it can result
in a break being sent down the line, which can cause the other
machine to break into the debugger, because the hardware post
of the console machine may send a break when you reboot it.
That's what he's saying.

> I tried to set brkint but after examining it again it is still
> cleared.
> Is the serial port bogus or is the serial cable an incomplete
> implementation?

It's 250+ms of spacing/line silence/+11v on the data line, so if
it were not working, or it was an incomplete cable, then you would
not be getting and serial communication at all.  Since you are,
the problem is not an incomplete cable.

Have you tried compiling in these options, NOT turning on the
GDB options, and simply sending a break down the serial line?
If you are using "tip", the command on the laptop you are using
as a console is "<CR>~#<CR>".

As I said previously, it's unlikely that the GDB client program
will send the right signal.

-- Terry