Date:      Wed, 18 Sep 1996 10:37:17 -0400
From:      Dayton Clark <dayton@sci.brooklyn.cuny.edu>
To:        hdalog@zipnet.net
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, pencil@holiday.sci.brooklyn.cuny.edu
Subject:   Re: LabPC+ problem

Thanks Peter.

<.> >
<.> > We're using the labpc driver with FreeBSD 2.1R.  The system is a
<.> > straight forward 486/33 with ISA bus.  The board is a LabPC+.
<.>
<.> I assume you defeated the multiple open lockout to permit you
<.> to open the digital and analog channels?  That should be OK.
<.>
<.> The board and driver should support scanning - I'm using
<.> it in an application at a clients to scan in five channels.  Check
<.> the minor number to make sure you are scanning from the correct
<.> device - it has a field to set the upper bound on the scanning
<.> sequence.  Then use "dd" to read from that device and see if you
<.> are getting all channels, eliminating problems with your user
<.> code and pointing the finger at the driver.
<.> Finally, see if there is a boundary issue with eight channels.

Great suggestions.

<.>
<.> > If we are to venture further into the driver, do you have any words of
<.> > wisdom on as to how to overcome the problem?  A specific question is:
<.> > why is the multi-open lockout necessary?
<.>
<.> The multi open lockout is to prevent you from trying to open the device
<.> in, for example, scanning mode where it will scan through a channel
<.> list and also in fixed-channel mode where you read a single channel.
<.>
<.> The driver would have to be made a lot smarter than it is to handle

As I suspected.

Thanks again.

dayton