Date:      Sun, 19 Mar 2000 03:37:04 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.0-release vs ftp5.freebsd.org

I (finally) got the new HD I've been waiting for, and wanted to do
a fresh install of freebsd-4 on it.  I got the floppies from the
4.0-release directory (probably off ftp.freebsd.org), and used them
to boot up.

Initially I thought I'd use ftp5.freebsd.org, thinking that was
"closer" to me.  The install was not able to find most of the
things it was trying to install (like "Can't find /bin, do you
want to try again?").  Interestingly enough, it WAS able to find
XFree86, so it installed that.  It may have also installed ports,
but in any case the result certainly wasn't going to go anywhere.

I just changed my options back to use ftp.freebsd.org, and the
install seems to be going along fine.  Doing a quick comparison
of the two sites, I don't see why 4.0-RELEASE would work coming
from one and not the other.

This is not an urgent problem or anything, but I thought it was
odd enough that I'd mention it.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute