Date:      Wed, 10 Sep 1997 06:19:15 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it (Luigi Rizzo), hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: interrupts in interrupt routines

> RTFM. :-)
>

> SPL(9)                 FreeBSD Kernel Developer's Manual                SPL(9)

thanks for pointing out the page.

>      assigns interrupt 12 to the ``tty'' priority group.  The system automati-
>      cally arranges for interrupts in the xxx group to be called at a priority
>      >= splxxx ().

does the >= make any sense since there is no ordering, just masks ?

Also, since we are on the subject: for certain things, such as the
sound driver, etc. it would suffice to block interrupts for the single
device, not for all of them or even for larger groups. Would it be
a problem to have fine-grained masks ? One could worry about having
too many masks, but since there are just 16 interrupt lines in the
PC architecture maybe scalability is not a problem...

Any ideas on how to implement this ?

	Cheers
	Luigi