Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 2004 17:24:22 -0600
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        mbeattie@alumni.rutgers.edu
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports and Packages

Michael Beattie wrote:

>Or does the port system download, compile, and then create and install
>a package from source whereas the other system just downloads the same
>package already compiled?

The only "package" I ever install is cvsup-without-gui, from
sysinstall, right after installation.  However, `pkg_info` ATM
gives me a list of 510 "packages" that are installed (the other
509 came from ports).

That's about the size of it.  It's more complex, I'm sure, but
the build system (out there; is it bento.freebsd.org?) utilizes
the ports system to create the packages; so in the end it's
not much different, except you can customize the build of
a port; packages are just built however Kris (or whoever
portmeister is) decides it should be done (not that I'm saying
it's a small job, nor am I implying he's responsible for
everything that happens, etc., etc.)

I wonder if the Porter's Handbook (in the docs) would
shed any light for you?

Kevin Kinsey