Date:      Wed, 07 Jun 1995 00:02:38 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@star-gate.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: [repost] latest working sound v30 release

 > > > Alas, it did not work for me.
 > > >
 > > > Boyd
 > >
 > > Could you be more specific?
 >
 > Of course.
 > >
 > > 	Which sound card do you have.
 >
 > GUS MAX 512K.
 >
 > > 	What doesn't work or which app doesn't work.
 >
 > xdoom's sound server with 30.2 from your ftp server.  As mentioned in your
 > note.
 >
 > > 	If you don't get any sound, I would like to see your configuration.
 >
 > Old stuff works like 30.  au files echo a little at the end.  Haven't checke
 > anything else.
 >
 > > 	Does the system crash, etc...
 >
 > sndserver dies.  It is probably that LINUX emulation is not yet complete.
 >

 > > 	Tnks,
 > > 	Amancio
 > >

 > Boyd
 > --

The echo of sound streams at the end is fixed on the latest sound driver from
Hannu which is not availble yet. We have had problems on other  areas of the
sound driver.

There are two approches that I see to this problem fix whatever is causing
the sndserver to crash or to reverse engineer it so we can have a native
doom sound server. I like the last approach. Anyone with an access to
a linux and inclination could perhaps let us know the protocol between
Doom and the sound server. Also, if could figure out the sound protocol
we may be able to support music and perhaps extend the sound server
to use NCD's netaudio or what the heck lets go all the way out
an IP Multicast the FreeBSD Doom sound sessions :)

	Cheers,
	Amancio