Date:      Tue, 7 Nov 2000 14:01:39 -0000
From:      "Dan Cuthbert" <daniel.cuthbert@uk.psi.com>
To:        "Jason Hunt" <jhunt@satx.rr.com>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD/Xfree86 4.01/IntelliMouse

Easy

This is relatively easy to do. You must be using XFree 4.x for this to work
though, as this mouse technically has 7 buttons, and 3.x only supports up to
5.

The mouse section in your XF86Config should look like this:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol"        "ExplorerPS/2"
        Option      "Device"          "/dev/mouse"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping"    "6 7"
        Option      "Buttons"         "7"
EndSection
You have to map the mousewheel out of the way as shown, as otherwise the
extra buttons aren't detected. Now we can swap stuff back though. Either add
this line to your .xinitrc: xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3 6 7 4 5" or add this
line to your ~/.Xmodmap: pointer = 1 2 3 6 7 4 5.

That's it. The side buttons will be 6 and 7 now, and mousewheel scrolling
will work as ever. You can bind the buttons to do whatever you like in your
favorite windowmanager and applications.

Dan Cuthbert
European Hosting Research & Engineering
PSINet Datacentres
mobile : +44 77 1279 0646