Date:      Thu, 13 Mar 97 17:44:57 PST
From:      raj@cisco.com
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing using 3COM Etherlink III PCMCIA card

> > I wouldn't mind purchasing one if you know for sure how to
> > configure it, and if it'll continue to work and be supported on
> > FreeBSD in the future!  Where do I send my money?
>
> If they work now, they should later.  We're checking on pricing, the D rev
> cards were backordered and we may be able to get something older a bit
> faster.

>From what I've be able to discover, the AST Ascentia P50 uses a "PCI to
PCMCIA bridge".  The system is shipped with "Cardwiz" for DOS and
Windows setups.  I talked with a techie at AST and they told me that I
definitely can NOT use a "Point Enabler" and must use Cardwiz in order
access the card.  Looking at FreeBSD information it appears as though
there is no support for PCMCIA bridges, although I'm seeing what looks
to be support under Linux.

> > > What does ifconfig ze0 report?
> >
> > I found that the card seemed to be finding conflicts with IObase
> > and/or IRQ so I have now moved it to IObase 0x400, IRQ 5 and maddr
> > 0xd8000.  It's found and configures just fine.  Says nothing when I do
> > "ifconfig".  However when I try a ping I get:
> > 	ze0: device timeout, isr=00, imr=80, imask=0000
> > and I don't see the packets on the net.
>
> Are you sure irq 5 is available, ie not used by a built-in soundcard?
> You'll get the timeout if it isn't responding to IRQs.

That makes sense.  Probably it's not getting the interrupt because you
must talk to it through this PCMCIA bridge.

/raj