Date:      Fri, 25 Apr 2014 14:48:59 +0200
From:      Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD/amd64 on ASUS Transformer T100 convertible tablet?

El día Friday, April 25, 2014 a las 12:49:23PM +0200, Alexander.Shendi escribió:

> Dear list,
>
> I have recently acquired an Asus Transformer T100 convertible tablet. I have managed to replace Windows with Linux (Ubuntu 14.04 64bit), but I would prefer a BSD system, as I normally use OpenBSD.
>
> I do not know the hardware very well:
> * 4x Atom Z3740 CPU @ 1.33 GHz.
> * Intel Bay Trail SOC.

I have seen this device in Asus web side, including a movie, and it
looks very nice as a netbook (as a successor for my 6 years old EeePC 900);

> I would like to try to install FreeBSD/amd64 on it, but would like to ask a few questions:
> * The tablet uses 32bit UEFI firmware and a GPT partition setup. I have disabled secure boot. Can the standard installer deal with this setup or must I boot via GRUB2?
> * I can't find a kernel binary to feed to the GRUB2 kfreebsd command, only ISO/memstick  images. Where do I find one?
> * Is there any point in trying -current?
> * I need XHCI (USB3) support for the keyboard in the docking station, but I think that should work in 10.0?
> * Any additional comments on how to proceed would be appreciated.
>
> Thank you in advance for you help.

I would start this project with preparing a -CURRENT USB boot key with a
complete system on it; if you have not done this in the past, I could
help you with this and could send you a complete howto.

	matthias

--
Matthias Apitz               |  /"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign: www.asciiribbon.org
E-mail: guru@unixarea.de     |  \ / - No HTML/RTF in E-mail