Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 1998 00:14:57 +0000
From:      freebsd@isvara.net
To:        FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: "Best" Fast Ethernet Card

David Greenman wrote:

> >What's the difference between the REV A and REV B boards?
>
>    The A boards use a different NIC and are not supported.

There is no 'A' chipset. There is Vortex (3c509), Boomerang (3c905) and Cyclone
(3c905B).

>    The 3Com 3c905 driver in FreeBSD uses the card in compatibility mode (non-
> DMA programmed I/O) and is thus the slowest/highest overhead board that we
> support.

This is an issue with the driver fortunately, so it is possible to solve this with some
new code. Seen as ethernet card support is quite a core server thing, it would be great
for a better driver to be written.

All is told in the tech docs available freely from Terry Murphy at 3com.

Daniel J Blueman
BSc Computation, UMIST, Manchester
Email: blue@challenge.isvara.net
Web: http://www.challenge.isvara.net/