Date:      Tue, 14 Nov 2000 14:52:13 -0500
From:      Caleb Land <bokonon@rochester.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mouse troubles in X and console (warning: contains graphic pleas for help :))

Hello,
	About three days ago I was using X, and my mouse froze in it's
tracks.  I know that X didn't freeze because I could still operate it
with the keyboard.  So, after I saved my work, I used
CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE to halt X.  Then I killed ``moused'' and ran it
again.  Then when I moved my mouse in the console tons of characters
(a lot of dollar signs ($)) were being input on standard input (as if
I were typing them, I received a lot of "command not found" errors).
If I start X when it is acting like this my mouse goes crazy when I
move it.  It clicks everywhere, and jumps from one side of the screen
to the other.
	When I reboot the machine everything is normal again until I
start X and use it for a little while.  Through much rebooting, I've
determined that moving a window from one virtual desktop to another
will get it to freeze more quickly, though other activity causes it
too.  I tried installing X from cvs, but that didn't fix anything.
I tried cvsup'ing by adding:

date=2000.11.01.01.01.01

and making a new kernel and world, but that didn't help (it worked
until a couple of days ago, so I thought that a recent installworld
might have caused it, but it still didn't work with the old sources)

	I've tried not running moused on boot, and just using the
mouse in X with the type set to "PS/2" and the device set to
"/dev/psm0"

Here is some information about my system:
* Dual PIII 500 on a Supermicro P6DGE

* 256 MB of Memory (I added 128 last week, and that is when I
recompiled my kernel because for some reason I have 128 MB of memory
hardcoded in my kernel config.)

* Intellimouse Explorer (the one with 5 buttons and a wheel) hooked up
to the PS/2 port because the USB never worked with SMP for some reason.

* First X 4.0.1 from the ports collection, then from CVS, same problem

The mouse works fine in Windows, and worked fine since March 2000 when
I installed FreeBSD 4.0 until now.

	If you need more specific information tell me how to get it
and I will (maybe some sort of kernel log or something).  I'm stumped.

--
Sincerely,
Caleb Land