Date:      Fri, 22 Nov 1996 13:48:58 +0100
From:      Lars Koeller <lkoeller@odie.physik2.uni-rostock.de>
To:        James Hu <jxh@cs.wustl.edu>
Cc:        scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk, amd-list@plethora.cs.wustl.edu, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AMD and CD-ROM

------

Hi all amd users!

Thanks to you all, who fiddle out this feature, but I didn't understand, why
it's not possibel in the 'normal' way, why not mount it consistently to
/host/odie/cdrom? Now it's located  /cdrom for me, a nfs mount from another
machine appears as /host/troll/cdrom. Shouldn't this be changed in amd?

Here my config files:

amd.map:
--------
/defaults	opts:=ro,soft,intr,grpid,nosuid,timeo=50
troll_cd0	type:=nfs;rhost:=troll;rfs:=/cdrom;type:=nfs
odie_fd0	type:=ufs;opts:=rw;dev:=/dev/fd0
odie_fd1	type:=ufs;opts:=rw;dev:=/dev/fd1
odie_cd0	host==odie;type:=program;\
		fs:=/cdrom;\
		mount:="/sbin/mount mount /cdrom";\
		unmount:="/sbin/umount umount /cdrom"

start of amd:
-------------
amd -a /amd -c 1800 -k i386 -d physik2.uni-rostock.de -l syslog /host
/etc/amd.map

fstab:
------
/dev/cd0a	 /cdrom			cd9660	ro,noauto	0 0

I use FreeBSD-2.1.5

Thanks and regards

Lars

James Hu writes:

>Scott Mitchell <scott@valis.dcs.qmw.ac.uk> writes:
>> To the folks asking about automounting a CD-ROM last week,
>> I just got my CD drive working with amd today, so maybe this will help.  The
>> map file, in /etc/amd.map, looks like this:
>
>> /defaults       type:=host;fs:=${autodir}/${rhost};rhost:=${key}
>> *               opts:=rw,grpid
>
>> valis		type:=auto;\
>> 		fs:=${map};\
>> 		pref:=${key}/
>
>> valis/cdrom	type:=program;\
>> 		fs:=/mnt/cdrom;\
>> 		mount:="/sbin/mount mount /mnt/cdrom";\
>> 		unmount:="/sbin/umount umount /mnt/cdrom"
>

>Scott,
>
>This is great.  I actually got something similar going, and I too
>found the process to be somewhat painfull.
>
>Does the CDROM eventually unmount for you?  What happens if you are
>still occupying the CD filesystem when ``amd'' tries to unmount?  Has
>anyone else come across this situation?  The reason this comes up is
>that I attempted to make the CDROM to timeout every 15 seconds,
>thinking that ``amd'' would do something graceful.  Instead, after 15
>seconds, I was still in the filesystem, and ``amd'' complained.  The
>thing is, I want to be able to eject the CDROM immediately after I cd
>out of it (or, 15 seconds after I cd out of it, in this case), but I
>don't want a bunch of error messages logged.
>
>So, I will probably write my own ``eject'' script which will test to
>see if the CDROM is still mounted.  If it is, it will attempt to
>gracefully unmount it.  If this fails, it will attempt to ungracefully
>unmount it.  If this fails, it will give up.  If any of the unmounting
>succeeds, it will do ``cdcontrol eject''.  Does this sound like a good
>plan?
>
>The documentation for ``amd'' *is* rather sparse, and I am hoping to
>be able to supplement it with real working examples and place them on
>a web page, somewhere.

Internet:                                       |  Lars Koeller
  Lars_Koeller@odie.physik2.Uni-Rostock.DE      |  Department of Physics
  ftp://odie.physik2.uni-rostock.de             |  University of Rostock
PGP-key:                                        |  Germany
  http://www.nic.surfnet.nl/pgp/pks-toplev.html |

----------- FreeBSD, what else? ---- http://www.freebsd.org ------------