Date:      Sun, 14 Jun 1998 10:55:32 -0700
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        Phil Cook <phil-cook@usa.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The little Devil...

At 09:48 PM 6/14/98 +1200, Phil Cook wrote:
>product that I can see, but I LOVE the cartoon devil. Is he "yours"? Or
>borrowed from elsewhere? Is there more of him? And - the biggie - can
>you send him to me? I'd love to put him up on my page (it's got a whole
>lot of Philosophy of Religion stuff, so he's most appropriate), I would

http://www.freebsd.org/daemon.html

and he's not exactly appropriate to religion, as you can read about on that
page. The following is straight off that page.

In the Unix System Administration Handbook, Evi Nemeth has this to say
about daemons:
"Many people equate the word ``daemon'' with the word ``demon,'' implying
some kind of Satanic connection between UNIX and the underworld. This is an
egregious misunderstanding. ``Daemon'' is actually a much older form of
``demon''; daemons have no particular bias towards good or evil, but rather
serve to help define a person's character or personality. The ancient
Greeks' concept of a ``personal daemon'' was similar to the modern concept
of a ``guardian angel'' --- ``eudaemonia'' is the state of being helped or
protected by a kindly spirit. As a rule, UNIX systems seem to be infested
with both daemons and demons." (p403)

--Ludwig Pummer
ludwigp@bigfoot.com
ICQ UIN: 692441   http://chipweb.home.ml.org