Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 1996 12:26:42 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        bill@twwells.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: a talkd/write improvement I made

> One of the annoyances of talk is that it's all or nothing. If one
> has mesg y, anyone can talk to you; otherwise, no one can. So I
> modified talkd so that it checks a .talkrc file in one's home
> directory. A .talkrc might contain something like this:

> steph@cyberenet.net
> !*@cyberenet.net
> *@admin.cyberenet.net

> This means: allow steph@cyberenet.net to "talk"; forbid everyone
> else on that machine. Allow anyone at admin.cyberenet.net to talk;
> forbid everyone else. (It's using fnmatch(3).)

Sounds useful.

> This is all well and good, except that the write program can also
> be an annoyance. So I modified it, too. But there's a problem.
> While talkd runs as root and so can see anyone's .talkrc, write
> runs as the invoking user and if that user can't see the callee's
> .talkrc, write reverts to the default behavior, which is to allow
> the write.

How about *not* allowing the write if .talkrc exists but is
unreadable? That way, I can make my .talkrc readable by a group that
represents, for example, people working on the same project, and use
it to filter them more selectively, while shutting everyone else out.

If .talkrc does not exist, then allow the write (for compatibility
with existing behaviour).

> Anyway, if the FreeBSD people want the patches, I'll send them
> along. But if they want them, they probably should let me know
> how they want the above irregularity resolved....

Thanks for the offer. I've Cc'd this to freebsd-hackers to see if
there are any other comments on this.

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk