Date:      Thu, 12 Sep 1996 12:30:01 -0700
From:      Raymundo Vega Aguilar <rvega@cicese.mx>
To:        David Stickney <David@wvb.gomel.by>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: several questions,

David Stickney wrote:

> Greetings Networkers,
>
> Here in Belarus, we don't have much for Internet, plenty of radiation
> and not much for reference material..
>
> I work for IAEWP (United Nations), and I will be starting a project in
> October that will install 6 pc servers in 6 institutes in a town by
> Chernobyl (Gomel Belarus).
>
> Anyways, I only had 30,000 to work with and my Leased Line to Moscow
> (64Kb) is costing$ 10,000.
>
> So, Here's what I'm hoping,
>
> feed               Cisco 2522     (-z z- are tynet 128k SR modems, 4 wire
> (64k) -z__ - ____z-||||||||||       physical lines. they connect the router
> X.25 PAD           |    Z           to the x25 package assembler. We don't
>                    |    |            have any options besides soviet lines
> ether =>           |    |            ie: analog)
>                    |    |
> host       --------     |  <= Analog lines (Slow 19-25kbps max)
> handling  |        |    |                    _____
> PPP       |--------|    |-----------------Z=|     |  <=server in one of the
> Inquirys                                    |     |    institutes (* 5).
> from the router                             |_____|
> DNS                             (802.3)        | <=NIC
> UUCP mailhost             (===================================================)
> Server (Pentium)             |         |
>                             |PC|      |PC|
>
> because we don't have the cash to buy routers for everyone, we only included
> installation of the server, but a we have a couple of institutes with networks.
> (of 6 institutes, 2 have networks, on with 30 PCs, the other with around
> 40, all that for 15,000 students)
>
> Comments??....               (Donors ;>)
>
> Now, some questions if you could help,
>
> Is there a cheap way to get a login prompt on the MSDOS PCs over the net?

An option we have used in the past is the NCSA set of programs, it
includes
a telnet, ftp, lpd, and maybe some other i can not recall, it use to be
free,
you can find it in:

ftp://ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu/PC/DOS/Telnet

> We'll need a DNS, should I use another computer to put it on, what to I
> need for software, is there any text somewhere I could read? (I don't have
> IP to look around for myself)

No you don't need other computer for this purpose, and the DNS software
comes
with the FreeBSD distribution.

> What is the deal with the NETCON software in the port collection, I don't
> have WWW, they didn't document any prices etc.. I wrote Tony@netcon.com,
> and no answer, does anyone have another address?..  could someone with IP
> register (or whatever) the demo so we could check it out? ( you need to
> fill in a page at the web site) www.netcon.com i think.

We don't use this software...

> I stuck FreeBSD 2.1.5 on a DX266/425/16 (Nice Install Program Folks),
> and it didn't catch my ethernet card (SMC BNC)(ed0) until I built the
> custom kernal (Nice ducumentation in the Manual (I have the August CDs).
>
> I have a network that looks like this (kinda):
> ----         ----          ----    -----
> |  | -------|    | -------|    |--|     |-- + 5 more connected only to
> ----         ----          ----    -----      to each other.
> FBSD        NOVELL3.11     Win95  Win95
>
> Of course my burning desire is to get these machines connected somehow,

FBSD, Novell and Win95 can coexist in the same segment

> (Perhaps off topic fo this list?)
> Samba: Nothing, SMBD and NMBD run ( not on the default ports, 1080 and
> 1090). I assume that I can use Win95 machines to Browse for the NMBD
> and that smbclient will let me use a Win95 host.. Correct?
>
> In the man pages there is a comment about a file "netbios hosts", and
> an example is made of the contents. Do I need this? What is the file
> supposed to be called? I tried naming it /etc/netbios.host and /etc/netbios
> no luck.. I sure someone is running this protocol with freeBSD, so perhaps
> the were able to read into the man pages something I'm catching.
>
> WIN95: has the ability to bind IP to the card, how do I go about making
> the FBSD Box Available to it, Could someone with a similiar config send
> me an example of the needs files (hosts /etc...)

the file /etc/sysconfig has it, it's read at boot time

> Do I need to make a table coverting ethernet to IP addresses? I Should
> give names to the systems and put them in the host file, how should it
> look?

first you must use a device driver (ed0, etc) to the ethernet card,
later
with ifconfig or at boot time (/etc/sysconfig) BSD binds the IP number
to the
device.

In /etc/host.conf you decide the order in which the BSD box will try to
translate the names to IP numbers.

> (Comment about the DOCs, the handbook has some info about routing, but it's
> slightly vague, and difficult to follow. it mentions ethernet addresses but
> doesn't tell where the go. A lot of the docs are really good, the Kernal,
> Printing, setting up the system etc..)

Any routing protocol can send packets to the same network only, so it
must have
one default route to send packets there when the recipient is not on the
same
network.

> I understand that the Sendmail that comes with FBSD doesn't do UUCP,
> What do I need? any locations where I can find it?

As far a i know the only thing you need to have UUCP is to configure it
in /etc/sendmail.cf.

> any good docs on setting up UUCP? We like UUCP here... Bad Lines...
>
> Does anyone have a easy to read / understand guide to UNIX that I can copy,
> translate, etc? We need something for training the masses...

There are LOTS of good unix books an LOTS of not so good, here i dont
have
any preferences....so let somebody else answer this question.

> Are you sick of my Questions? <Sorry>

NEVER, you are in the right list.

> BTW, I'll be happy to pay 1000.00 Rubles to anyone who helps, Please
> include your snail mail address. Please No photos of yourself and requestd
> to find brides, my email is really expensive.

I don't expect to be paid for this, and also do'nt know what can you buy
with
1000 rubles. my wife will NEVER accept sombody else at our house, so
dont pay me...

> Thanks for your attention,
> Dave Stickney
> P.O. Box 97, Gomel Belarus, 246050