Date:      Mon, 05 Feb 2001 19:59:20 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Darryl Hoar <darryl@osborne-ind.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sshd -continued

--5vNYLRcllDrimb99

On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 04:22:17PM -0600, Darryl Hoar wrote:

> I then started putty on my win32 box, specified my sshd hostname,
> and ... nothing.  On the Freebsd box, I received:  fatal
> rsa_private_decrypt()
> failed.  I tried generating a RSA key with putty, and using that.  Same
> problem.

On FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE you need to either install the rsaref2 port, or
be using crypto from an "international" source. Due to patent
restrictions which were in force at that time we couldn't ship RSA
code in the base system. This was fixed with the expiry of the RSA
patent in September, coinciding with the release of 4.1.1.

Kris
--5vNYLRcllDrimb99

--5vNYLRcllDrimb99--