Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 1996 10:38:06 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        s2147607@cse.unsw.edu.au
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: want to run unix with pentium

> I want to run unix with pentium, how much this will cost me and

Depends on the going rate for a Pentium where you live. 8-)

FreeBSD is indeed free, though you may need to splash out a modest
amount on a CDROM or on downloading it by FTP, if you use a modem. If
you're strapped for cash, it will run quite acceptably on a 486 DX/2
or DX/4, which you can get fairly cheaply these days, leaving you with
more to spend on extra RAM or a good fast disk; these may well have
more impact on performance than CPU speed.

It'll even run on a 386SX16 with 4MB of RAM, though this is probably
not much fun to use interactively.

See "Jordan's picks" under http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland