Date:      Mon, 10 May 1999 17:56:56 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        freyes@inch.com
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ethernet card with TCP stack built in

> >For historical notes, Touch Communicatios implemented an ISO stack on
> >on a 3com programmable NIC around 1987 --- I was part of Touch
> >Communications.
>
> Any ideas what happened to that NIC?
> It is my impression that chips that offload functions from the CPU seem
> to be gaining some momentum. Probably because of advances in technology
> and reduced cost of manufacturing such chips.

Ungermann-Bass did exactly the same thing for TCP/IP on a card on
SCO Xenix 2.x.  I think I have DECNet stack on 170k floppy around
somewhere, too.

DEC did a lot of similar stuff with their MicroVAX II Q-Bus boards.

I have a 3COM board for a PS/2 that has an 80186 on it for the same
purpose.

This is far from a new idea; the real question: do they have FreeBSD
drivers for the thing?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---