Date:      Mon, 16 Jun 2003 21:01:09 -0400
From:      Jud <judmarc@fastmail.fm>
To:        Alex de Kruijff <freebsd@akruijff.dds.nl>, Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>, Tobias Roth <roth@iam.unibe.ch>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dualboot, first fbsd, then xp

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 01:53:54 +0200, Alex de Kruijff =

<freebsd@akruijff.dds.nl> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 10:15:05PM +0100, Matthew Seaman wrote:
[snip]
>> Hmmm... It's a long time since I had any dealings with a Microsoft OS=
,
>> but I seem to remember that they always preferred to go in the first
>> partition (slice, in FreeBSD parlance) on the drive.  Dunno if that's=

>> still true.
>>

> That goes for most OS out there. If the boot record are at a certain .=
... =

> (fill in the rigth unity and value) then the system simply don't
> startup. FreeBSD has some filesystems that you wanna have a the front
> of the disk because of the performance. I recond the best thing to do =
is =

 =

 =

> thirth hold the rest of FreeBSD fs and the fourth old more for XP if y=
ou =

> are likly to experiance problems. (aka have the second partion in the =

> dainger zone)
>
> Alex

Windows 2000 seems to want to be installed in the first primary partitio=
n =

unless one's dual-booting with Win98, in which case Win2K makes an exten=
ded =

partition on the disk for both Wins, then a logical partition in which t=
o =

install itself, in spite of the user's (or at any rate, my) best attempt=
s =

to have it otherwise.  Whether WinXP is similar I wouldn't know, but why=
 =

try anything else (than installing to the first slice/partition) other t=
han =

for the sake of experimentation?

Re what Alex suggests, it sounds like you have your FreeBSD setup alread=
y =

done, so I'll just note his preferences are different enough than others=
 =

I've seen suggested here that (1) Googling this mailing list and (2) =

reading a few modern references (e.g., the Handbook and the new 4th edit=
ion =

of Greg Lehey's "The Complete FreeBSD" - I'm sure there are other good =

sources as well) will provide varying and possibly beneficial perspectiv=
es =

for anyone who *is* setting up a FreeBSD system.  Hmm - "danger zone"?

Jud