Date:      Sun, 03 Aug 1997 14:14:32 +1000
From:      David Nugent <davidn@unique.usn.blaze.net.au>
To:        hoek@hwcn.org
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports-current/packages-current discontinued

> How does the ports system fail?

Yeah, I'd like to know too. I've never had a T1 on my desktop, but
it has always worked fine for me, either from CDROM or over the
internet, even at 14.4k as I personally was until recently. And I
rarely even use pre-built packages.

> Packages don't need sources.  They are the moral equivalent to
> sysinstall adding only the binaries.  When they do need sources,
> their's MASTER_SITE_OVERRIDE (which can be set to
> file://cdrom/distfiles).  I've also always wanted an option to
> prevent bsd.port.mk from copying the fetched distfile insto
> ${DISTDIR}, so that could be added (necessary to prevent copying
> sources into /usr/ports/distfiles when
> MASTER_SITE_OVERRIDE=ftp://ftp.br.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/).

Doesn't a symbolic link from /usr/ports/distfiles to the CDROM work?
This is admittedly problematic if you keep your ports tree up to
date, but it's a reasonable workaround I've used occasionally. :)

Regards,
David

David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
davidn@freebsd.org davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/