Date:      Sat, 19 Feb 2000 04:47:34 +0900
From:      Yoshinobu Inoue <shin@nd.net.fujitsu.co.jp>
To:        ache@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        saxonww@ufl.edu, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Broken FTP

> > OK I'll change not to try it once it fails.
>
> It seems your last patch _not_ fix the problem. Now I got:
>
> ftp> dir
> 500 'EPSV': command not understood.
>
> on first 'dir' command issued. This is with wu-ftpd. Remember that different
> ftpd's could have slightly different format for response so you should
> not relay on it much.
>
> Could you please try EPSV automatically on _login_ and eat predictable response
> instead of trying on first user command? In that way you can reflect EPSV-able
> status in ftp's 'status' command to give user info is remote ftpd
> EPSV-compatible or not, as I already describe in previous messages.

But the change to do it seems to be not so simple as can be
done in this code freeze phase. (At least with my level of
understanding of ftp code.)
Somewhat no printing version of getreply() seems to be
necessary.

Could you please create the patch which seems to be safely
committed? That will be very much help.

Thanks,
Yoshinobu Inoue