Date:      Wed, 10 Sep 1997 15:24:44 +1000
From:      David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: My FreeBSD Wish List...

On Wed, Sep 10, 1997 at 02:26:34PM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
>On Wed, Sep 10, 1997 at 02:30:42PM +1000, David Dawes wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 09, 1997 at 02:21:27PM -0700, Satoshi Asami wrote:
>> On a partly related note, a future XFree86 release will put config files
>> (like xdm config files for example) in a directory hierarchy below /var
>> (most likely /var/X11).  It is possible that future X11 releases from The
>> Open Group will do this too.  This will make it easier to use a read-only
>> /usr/X11R6.  None of this has been set in stone yet, so if anyone has
>> any comments about this, please let me know.
>
>Well, at the risk of the lives of a few protestants, why /var?  My
>reading of /var is that it is for frequently changing files, such as
>spool files.  I agree that it would be nice to have a read-only /usr,
>but I think it would be worth giving a bit more consideration for the
>new home of the config files.

It is following the precedent set by (for example) Digital Unix and some
Linux distributions.  CDE (as seen on Solaris 2.5 and Digital Unix)
uses /etc/dt for CDE's config file overrides.  We also need a place
to put files that might be created at run-time (like the complied xkb
map) which should really go to some writeable place that isn't publicly
writeable.  Currently those files get written under /usr/X11R6 when
the server's uid/euid is 0.  Perhaps those two issues should be separated.

FWIW, the hier(5) man page on Digital Unix 4.0 gives the same basic
description of /var as the hier(7) man page on FreeBSD 2.2.2, and
admittedly config files don't fit into that description.  A difference
is that on the page on Digital Unix describes /var/adm/sendmail as being
the place for sendmail configuration and database files.  The nearest
exception I can find on FreeBSB is /var/cron/tabs (which isn't mentioned
in the hier(7) man page I have here).

Anyway, I'm looking for suggestions and comments at this stage.  If
possible, I'd like to see something common to all the platforms XFree86
supports, and something which isn't different from existing solutions
just for the sake of it.

David