Date:      Tue, 7 Dec 1999 01:57:17 -0700 (MST)
From:      bjp aka rbw <rbw@nikita.rbwland.org>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.3-S crashing with "ncr0: queue empty." after ~2 weeks

On Mon, 6 Dec 1999, Mike Smith wrote:

> > the next time, i decided to run Crack v5.0 to see if i had any weak
> > passwords on my system.  this seemed to be semi-disk I/O intensive.  it
> > crashed with the repeating "ncr0: queue empty." error after about 6 days.
>
> I've only seen this error in conjunction with failing NCR controllers;
> usually dying due to overheating in Multias.

the box doesn't seem to be running much higher than room temp, so i kind
of doubt it's heat.  (it's nothing like the multias... that's for sure.)
if it is heat, do you think that maybe the NCR controller is permanently
damaged?  or do you think i should just look into cooling this thing?

also, do you think there is a chance that this is an odd problem in
3.3-STABLE?  (from what i can gather, most of the poeple on this list are
running 4.0-CURRENT.)  i will try 4.0-CURRENT when i can find the time and
see if that fixes it.

oh yeah... and anyone have some sort of test i can run that is highly disk
intensive so i can try to force this problem to pop up?

again, thanks for your time,
brian