Date:      Sun, 10 Feb 2002 14:05:47 +0200
From:      Valentin Nechayev <netch@iv.nn.kiev.ua>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>, "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/ufs/ffs ffs_softdep.c

> :> I just booted a -stable with
> :>
> :> $FreeBSD: src/sys/ufs/ffs/ffs_softdep.c,v 1.57.2.11 2002/02/05 18:46:53 dill
> :>
> :> and did not notice this problem.

4.5-release contains 1.57.2.9, and I saw such problems 3 times.
Mostly this was after my games with ultradeep directories (up to 1000 nesting
directories), but all games used only correct syscall entries and their calls.
There was 2 occurences of another variant: __after__ message "Syncing disks...
N M\nDone\n", disk activity raised and on 2nd occurence stopped after
~10 seconds, on 1st occurence I wait more than 1 minute for it to terminate
and at the end pressed Reset.

>     It seems unrelated to me but, obviously, keep an eye out.  I don't know
>     if it's possible to ctl-alt-esc into the debugger that late in the
>     game and get a kernel core but if it occurs again that is what one
>     should try to do, or otherwise try to get something that is reproducable.

I tried now to catch trace in a moment when high disk activity was after
"Syncing disks... Done". In userland, there was rm -rf in 5 seconds before
with 4 trees of 2048 nesting directories level. Trace shows only interrupt
handler and something under it...

/netch