Date:      Sun, 6 Dec 1998 18:40:34 +0000
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        "Charles A. Peters a.k.a. hacker" <hacker@chickenbean.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /var partition is out of space, I need more now!  What do I do!

Charles A. Peters a.k.a. hacker wrote:

> I have a major problem.  My email/web/ftp server /var partition is
> running out of space.  I'm having problems with the file system being
> full, and not being able to process email.  This server is online, and
> I would prefer not to take it down for more than a few minutes.
>
> Is there a way that I can increase the size of my /var partition.  I
> do have plenty of space on my /usr partition.

As a temporary fix, move some stuff to /usr and create a symlink. You
can't resize disk slices under FreeBSD, you're supposed to get it right
to start with.

You may also like to check /var/tmp for unnecessary files, and remove
any old crash dumps if you have any from /var/crash, since they'll take
a lot of space if you have a lot of RAM.

Also, please fix your broken mailer so it wraps lines at <80 characters.

--
Ben Smithurst
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk

send a blank message to ben+pgp@scientia.demon.co.uk for PGP key