Date:      Mon, 29 Apr 2002 13:59:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Mills <jmmills@telocity.com>
To:        FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   1st-time kernel build questions

Hello -

I have a couple of questions concerning the process of building FreeBSD
from sources. My system is a modest one (133MHz Cyrix 6x86) in which I
have installed FreeBSD-4.5 off a downloaded 4.5-RELEASE CD set. I am
working through an ASDL link, so web-access speed is reasonable.

I would like to have a good kernel with current patches, but so far I'm
happy with my intial use of 4.5-RELEASE, and would stay with that version.
Naturally my first interest is security, but bugfixes (if any &8-)are
nice. It seems as good a time as any to learn how to build a FreeBSD
kernel.

1) Looking at the on-line Handbook and at Greg Lehey's FreeBSD Reference,
'cvsup' seems able to either checkout a copy of all or parts of the
FreeBSD tree, or to mirror all or part of the CVS repository in my system,
from which I then checkout locally. My first idea would be to simply check
out a copy of the tree I want. If I don't expect to patch my source,
should I really create a local repository? I expect it would at least
double the disk space required, even if I manage to mirror just one
revision.

2) With regards to building: 'makeworld' target seems to build a full set
of tools, libs, and files to support FreeBSD kernel mainenance. This
definitely seems like a good idea at this point. Does 'makeworld' work
properly without a local CVS repository?

Thanks for any suggestions to a FreeBSD beginner.
 - John Mills